It has been known that I am a person of very discerning taste, some call me fussy, when it comes to certain food products. The same goes with my taste in porridge.
Upon returning to Canada I found that, much to my dismay, that no company has my favourite porridge on sale. Actually it was pretty difficult to obtain in the US as well. So, I had to embark on a hunt, and taste test, various products. Eventually I found Presidents Choice Quick Oats.
Why is this product good?
- When they say quick they mean quick. Little effort is involved in cooking this in the morning when I am not at my best.
- I can cook it in the method I love to eat it.
- It tastes good
Following is my recipe on how I use this product for breakfast. Some other British friends also use this method, maybe to make it similar to Ready Brek (which is available here but too expensive).
- 1/4 cup Presidents Choice Organics Quick Oats
- 1/2 cup Milk, I normally use 2%
- Honey, to taste
- Grind down the quick oats to a near floury consistency and place in microwave safe bowl. This may sound a bit odd to Canadians and Americans.
- Mix Milk and Oats in the bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Stir Milk and Oats again just to blend in properly.
- Add honey to taste. Obviously you can use many other types of toppings too, whatever is your favourite.
So, you see it is pretty easy to do especially for those who are fairly dysfunctional in the mornings.
In my local Real Canadian Store Quick Oats is less than $4 for 1Kg which is a bargain.